St. Stephen’s Anglican Church – Our History
“Unless the LORD builds the house, they labor in vain who build it” (Psalm 127:1). The Rev. Paul Slish, a Reformed Presbyterian pastor, developed a friendship with the late Rev. M. William (Bill) Stott, the priest at St. Luke’s Anglican Church in East Aurora, NY. Father Stott believed there would be a demand for a Biblical, Traditional Anglican Church using the time tested 1928 Book of Common Prayer in the northtowns area of western New York. This is the area where Pastor Paul and his wife Andrea reside just north of Buffalo.
A relationship was established with the Most Reverend Peter W. Goodrich of Niagara Falls, Ontario, who is the Archbishop of the Independent Anglican Church, Canada Synod. After sufficient examination and references, Archbishop Peter gave his approval for the church plant.
On St. Mark’s Feast day, April 25, 2010 Archbishop Peter ordained Pastor Paul as a Deacon in the Anglican Church. The church building and grounds at 10 Indian Trail Road in Williamsville, NY were made available for the newly constituted St. Stephen’s Anglican Church. Sunday Communion services were inaugurated after that with Father Bill Stott officiating every other week. On the alternate weeks Archbishop Peter authorized Deacon Slish to lead worship and distribute the reserved hosts and wine.
Archbishop Peter was satisfied with Deacon Slish’s service, and in light of his previous experience as a Reformed Presbyterian pastor ordained him to the order of priesthood and installed him as Rector of St. Stephen’s Anglican Church in June 2010. The ordination took place at St. George’s Pro-Cathedral in Niagara Falls, NY. Archdeacon Stott presented Deacon Slish to Archbishop Peter. Also participating in the ordination was Bishop Norman Kayumba originally from Rwanda, Africa. Bishop Norman presently resides in Western New York.
Weekly Communion services have continued every Sunday at St. Stephen’s with Father Paul officiating. The sermons have been predominately a systematic review of the four gospels. As of October 2015 the gospels of Matthew, Mark, and John have been completed. Father Paul is progressing through the gospel of Luke at this time. His beloved wife Andrea serves as the church organist.
On January 10, 2016 St. Stephen’s at a congregational meeting voted unanimously to request reception into the United Episcopal Church of North America (UECNA). Bishop David Hustwick of the Diocese of the Great Lakes of the UECNA subsequently approved the reception of St. Stephen’s Anglican Church. We look forward to a fruitful relationship as we seek to further the Kingdom of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Come and join us as we seek to worship the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit in the traditional liturgy treasured by the Christian Church since the Apostles’ time as retained by the historic 1928 Book of Common Prayer!